Alymsys® (bevacizumab-maly), a biosimilar to Avastin® (bevacizumab), has been made available by Amneal Pharmaceuticals.
Alymsys is a vascular endothelial growth factor inhibitor indicated for the treatment of:
- Metastatic colorectal cancer, in combination with intravenous fluorouracil-based chemotherapy for first- or second-line treatment.
- Metastatic colorectal cancer, in combination with fluoropyrimidine-irinotecan- or fluoropyrimidine-oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy for second-line treatment in patients who have progressed on a first-line bevacizumab product-containing regimen.
- Unresectable, locally advanced, recurrent or metastatic nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer, in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel for first-line treatment.
- Recurrent glioblastoma in adults.
- Metastatic renal cell carcinoma in combination with interferon alfa.
- Persistent, recurrent, or metastatic cervical cancer, in combination with paclitaxel and cisplatin or paclitaxel and topotecan.
- Epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal cancer, in combination with paclitaxel, pegylated liposomal doxorubicin, or topotecan for platinum-resistant recurrent disease who received no more than 2 prior chemotherapy regimens.
Alymsys is not indicated for adjuvant treatment of colon cancer. Lack of efficacy of bevacizumab as an adjunct to standard chemotherapy for the adjuvant treatment of colon cancer was determined in 2 randomized, open-label, multicenter clinical studies.
Alymsys is supplied in single-dose vials containing 100mg/4mL and 400mg/16mL of bevacizumab-maly.
Amneal launches first biosimilar with Alymsys® (bevacizumab-maly) in the United States. News release. Company. Accessed October 4, 2022. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221003005346/en/Amneal-Launches-First-Biosimilar-with-ALYMSYS%C2%AE-bevacizumab-maly-in-the-United-States
This article originally appeared on MPR